Temporary tattoos have become increasingly popular in recent years and provide a decorative tattoo look without the commitment of permanence. Unlike traditional tattoos that require needles and last a lifetime, temporary tattoos can be applied and removed quickly and painlessly. They come in a dazzling array of styles, themes and materials at budgets for every taste.
According to industry experts, reviews from customers and trend reports, here are the top 20 most popular temporary tattoos:
- Henna Tattoo Temporary Tattoo Sticks – Henna tattoos provide beautiful and intricate botanical designs that can last 2-5 days. They are all natural, fade over time without peeling.
- Snazaroo Temporary Tattoos – Snazaroo tattoos feature high-quality designs, vibrant colors and stay on skin for 5-7 days. They are water resistant and kid-safe with popular characters.
- Rockit Temporary Tattoo Props – Rockit tattoos are small, flat designs that stick onto any smooth surface. They include tattoo sleeves, bandages, hair clips, headbands and phone cases. They can last for years with proper care.
- Mr. Tat Temporary Tattoos – Mr. Tat tattoos offer limited edition releases, movie characters, sports team logos, celebrity portraits and more. They use durable adhesive to stick securely for up to 2 weeks.
- TattAlly Temporary Tattoos – TattAlly tattoos include gorgeous glitter designs, neon colors and iridescent shimmers that last 3-5 days. Popular for proms, festivals and cosplay.
- Glitterati Temporary Tattoos – Glitterati tattoos feature vibrant glitter designs that sparkle and glow on skin for days. They are water resistant, cruelty-free and never stain skin.
- Lucky Cat and Company Temporary Tattoos – Lucky Cat tattoos include cute animal designs like cats, dogs, deer, foxes and more. They stay on skin for 3-5 days and are washable.
- Ritees Temporary Tattoo Stickers – Ritees tattoo sticker sheets include hundreds of designs including hearts, stars, arrows, initials, lyrics and symbols. Designs can last 5-7 days with proper care.
- TOART Temporary Tattoo Transfers – TOART transfers provide realistic food designs replicating cherries, pizza slices, ice cream cones, tacos and pasta. They stay glossy for days. Popular for foodie photo ops.
- Rockit Temporary Movie & TV Character Temporary Tattoo Props – Rockit Rock Tattoos include iconic characters from Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things and more. movie character tattoos.
- Ultimo Temporary Tattoo Stencils – Ultimo stencils allow you to create custom handmade temporary tattoos using tattoo paper, fabric or waterslide transfers and stencils of your own designs or shapes like stars, hearts and animals.
- Six Sharpie Temporary Tattoo Markers – Six Sharpie markers provide neon and pastel shades that can be doodled onto skin and last 3-5 days. They do not stain skin and wash off easily.
- Get Shit Done Beauty Temporary Tattoo Labels – Chic labels for your beauty and skincare products. Includes tattoos for sunscreen, primer, serum, vitamin c, retinol, cetaphil, joico, Ouidad and more. Last up to 2 days with proper care.
- Belfy Temporary Tattoo Sleeves – Reusable temporary tattoo sleeves that stay on fine details and edges. Simply stick your own temporary tattoos or decals onto the sleeves for hands-free wear. Sleeves can be worn for days at a time.
- U Brands Temporary Tattoo Silhouettes – Delicate silhouettes of dreamcatchers, feathers, moons, stars and birds. Sophisticated, minimalist and meaningful silhouettes last 3-5 days when applied properly.
- Tagium Temporary Tattoos – Tagium specializes in personalized temporary tattoos including names, monograms, symbols and special occasion messages. Their high-quality adhesive tattoos last 5-10 days. They provide custom temporary tattoos for birthdays, engagements, graduations, sports teams and more.
- Gemini Temporary Tattoos – Gemini tattoos include feminine zodiac signs, moon phases and celestial symbols that stay glamorous for days. They are water resistant and meant to mark special celestial and seasonal events.
- Sugar Skull Kids Temporary Tattoo Sheets – For the rebellious spirit, Sugar Skull tattoos feature beautiful day of the dead styled sugar skull designs. Designs are intricately detailed but not scary, perfect for any age. They last 3-5 days with proper care.
- PopSockets Temporary Tatto Emoji Swappable Phone Grip Slate & Rose Gold – A sleek swappable temporary tattoo phone grip featuring emoji designs including winking face, thumbs up, OK hand and grinning face. Simply stick the temporary tattoos onto the side of the phone grip for a fun, custom look.
- Ever After Rebellion Temporary Tattoos – Ever After Rebellion tattoos combine Victorian Gothic style with skull motifs, spider webs, mystical symbols and occult references for rebellious and gothic tastes. Their tattoos are darkly romantic, tragic and meant to celebrate the outcast inner spirit.
- Exfoliate and moisturize skin first for best adhesion and longer wear.
- Apply to skin after a warm bath or shower while pores are open.
- Use water, rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer to loosen adhesive backing before application.
- Apply with lukewarm iron instead of a hot one to avoid irritation.
- Seal and preserve precious metal foil tattoos or glitter tattoos with clear top coat for longer wear.
- Wash hands thoroughly after application before other activities to avoid smudging tattoos.
Types of Temporary Tattoos
- Water Transfer or Water Slide Tattoos – Apply to skin with water and peel off after drying. Last 3-5 days. Provide intricate floral designs and botanical patterns.
- Iron-On Tattoos – Stick on skin with heat using an iron. Can last 7-10 days if cared for properly. Popular for band logos, quotes and biometrical designs.
- Henna Tattoos – Temporary tattoos made from natural henna paste. Stains skin for 2-5 days. Creates beautiful mehndi-style designs and patterns.
- Temporary Tattoo Stickers – Adhesive-backed stickers adhering directly to skin. Last 3-5 days. Great for medical symbols, zodiac signs, crossword pieces and travel themed designs.
- Temporary Tattoo Decals – Clear decals with tattoos applied over skin and hair. Can last 2-3 washes. Provide animal ear options, hair clips, phone case designs and more.
- Glitter and Metallic Tattoos – Shimmering strands of glitter or metallic pigments that reflect light for days. Popular for festivals, proms and cosplay.
- Henna Mehndi Tattoo – The ancient art of henna body art creates skin-tone tattoos that stain for 2-5 days without irritation. Beautiful for special events and occasions.
- Foil or Gold Leaf Tattoos – Apply edible gold or silver foil or leaf for a luxe, lustrous temporary tattoo. The foil lasts until wiped away, suitable for photos, events and everyday glamour.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a list of frequently asked questions on temporary tattoos:
Most last 3 to 7 days, depending on factors like body oils, irritation, and friction. Henna tattoos tend to last the longest at 5 days while glitter tattoos often fade the quickest within 2-3 days.
Temporary tattoos are generally considered safe if used as directed. However, they are not intended for medical use or application to broken, irritated or sensitive skin. Proper care should be taken, especially when applying to children.
Temporary tattoos are tested to meet safety standards but some people may experience minor irritation, redness or itching. Do a patch test on skin first if you have sensitive or reactive skin. Most irritation can be avoided by following application instructions carefully.
Temporary tattoos can easily be removed using baby oil, coconut oil, olive oil, or rubbing alcohol and gentle scrubbing. Gently wash or wipe away remaining ink or adhesive residue from skin after the tattoo has started to fade.
Yes, temporary tattoos are considered safe for use during pregnancy in moderation. However, as with any product, it is best to check with your doctor first, especially during the first trimester. Certain temporary tattoo inks may contain metals like lead or nickel that could be absorbed by the fetus.
Temporary tattoo inks and pigments are designed to adhere to human skin and not clothing, fabrics or other materials. As long as the tattoo is applied carefully as directed, it should not leak or bleed onto clothes, towels, bedding or other surfaces. Properly sealing or removing the tattoo also reduces any chance of transferring residual ink.
Yes, custom temporary tattoos are popular and easy to create. You can create your own designs using tattoo paper, fabric or waterslide tattoo paper and printers/heat presses. Or find companies that offer custom temporary tattoo designs and printing. Some tattoo stickers also allow you to peel and apply designs for custom creations.